Friday 30 June 2017

One Adult Learner's success story

The following was written by one of our learners in Maybole

"I live in Maybole and am in my mid-fifties. I have health problems which prevent me from working.

I initially made contact with CLD for Basic IT classes run by Adult Learning. I was anxious about my ability to learn and about being with other people in a group. However with encouragement and reassurance from staff I went along. Over time I became more comfortable, and was invited to a new Let’s Get Started group – a programme for confidence building, identifying skills and looking ahead. Again, I needed some persuasion but I agreed to go. I was quiet initially, and very anxious, however the staff and other participants helped me to settle and I completed the course.

I feel a big change. I am eating more healthily, getting out more and have my sense of humour back..  I felt confident enough to approach Adult Learning to ask for help with my reading and writing. I had never had the courage to admit to this before. I have now started literacy support with a  tutor and am making good progress. I have also started the Stress Busting course and enjoy  the routine, the company and learning.

I feel so much better about myself and have made new friends. I look forward to coming to the groups, it gives me routine and I have a laugh."


No comments:

Post a Comment